They kill an intruder in the residence of the ambassador of Peru


US Secret Service agents shoot dead an intruder who was breaking windows at the Peruvian ambassador’s residence in Washington on Wednesday, authorities said.

The ambassador and his family were at the residence in the Forest Hills neighborhood of northwestern Washington when they heard someone breaking several windows shortly before 8 am and called the Secret Service. That federal agency is responsible for protecting foreign dignitaries and missions in the United States, including embassies and diplomatic residences.

Secret Service uniforms encountered a man armed with a rod in the backyard of the residence and used an electric shock gun to arrest him, but “those weapons appear to have had no effect on the person,” reported the head of the Department. of the Metropolitan Police, Robert Contee, at a press conference.

The officers then opened fire on the man, who was pronounced dead at the scene, Contee added. His identity has not been revealed.

In a statement released on its official website, the Peruvian embassy in the United States reported that β€œin the early hours of the morning, a person entered the Official Residence without authorization, causing material damage to the property. Said person was shot by the Secret Service.”

The statement added that the “ambassador, his family, the staff of the residence and the secret service agents are safe, and the fact is being investigated by the competent authorities.”

The residence is one of the largest houses in Washington and is surrounded by trees. It’s right outside of Rock Creek Park, which meanders through the US capital.

Investigators are still trying to figure out why the man was at the ambassador’s residence and why he was breaking windows, Contee said. Several windows and doors around the property were smashed, he said.

β€œWe are still in the early stages of the investigation,” Contee explained. “We don’t know who this individual is, we don’t know why this person was in the ambassador’s residence.”

Contee said the man appeared to be in his 20s or 30s and authorities had not yet determined if he was carrying any form of identification.

Investigators have not yet identified a motive, but Contee said “it appears to have been an isolated incident at this particular residence.”

Comments are closed.