The withdrawal of the CSTO peacekeeping mission from Kazakhstan begins | News

0
100

The president of Kazakhstan, Kasim-Yomart Tokáyev announced that starting this Thursday the withdrawal of the peace contingent from the Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO) will begin after controlling the situation after the anti-democratic protests in early January.

READ ALSO:

Kazakhstan announces end of CSTO peace mission

The contingent of at least 2,000 troops led by Russia and also made up of Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan, in addition to Kazakhstan, arrived in the country on January 6 at the request of the Kazakh leader.

According to the president, the presence of the CSTO peace contingent played a great role in stabilizing the situation in our country.

Tokáyev said that the arrival of the CSTO forces in Kazakhstan had “great psychological importance to repel the aggression of terrorists and criminals.”

The National Security Committee (CSN) of Kazakhstan announced the termination in 14 of the 17 regions of the country of the CSTO operation launched after protests that broke out at the beginning of the year and degenerated into violent riots.



“The situation has stabilized in 14 regions of Kazakhstan. For this reason, the operational center for the fight against terrorism reports the end of the antiterrorist operation and raises the ‘red’ level of terrorist threat,” the CSN said in a statement.

The agency warned that operations continue in the city of Almaty, one of the epicenters of violent demonstrations in the Central Asian country.

The protests have left a balance so far of at least 164 dead, a thousand injured and more than 10,000 detainees.

Comments are closed.