That dancing is a very beneficial physical activity for health is nothing new. Nor is Zumba something new, the Latin dance that is sweeping gyms all over the world and that you have surely heard of.
Beyond being a very complete exercise for all of us who want to get in shape, Zumba is an easy and fun dance that hides a huge number of benefits for the body. Take note!
Zumba was born by chance more than 14 years ago, when a young Colombian dancer, Beto Pérez, forgot the music for his aerobics class. To get out of trouble, he took his cassette from the car and improvised a session to the rhythm of salsa, merengue and cumbia.
The response was so good that he decided to bet on a new training system: Zumba Fitness. The rest of the story is already known to all. Do you want to know if Zumba is made for you? You can try this test, although we assure you that after knowing its benefits, you will answer a resounding yes.
Currently, Zumba is a consolidated program, practiced by some 15,000 million people weekly, in more than 300,000 places around the world. His secrets?
The music, the easy choreography, its effectiveness and, above all, that anyone can practice it!
Practicing this activity two or three times a week can help you reduce body fat significantly, with visible results in just one month. But this dance hides many other benefits. Silvia Anguera, Zumba teacher at Club Bonasport, gives us the keys.
Physical benefits of practicing Zumba
Improves the cardiovascular system. Dancing stimulates blood circulation, so your respiratory and vascular systems will benefit. And since these two are the two largest systems that run through the body, your entire body will notice improvement.
- Calorie burn. In each Zumba session you can burn up to 800 calories. That amount will vary depending on the duration of the session and the metabolism of each person, but with a daily session you will be able to lose weight in a short time. For optimal results, do not forget to combine exercise with a good diet.
- Tones and firms the muscles. Some choreographies incorporate movements such as squads (squats) or abdominals. Along with the body movements of dancing, these exercises strengthen different muscle groups such as the arms, legs, buttocks, and abdomen. Zumba is also recommended for people who suffer from bone pathologies and stiff joints.
- Improves flexibility and strength. Dancing often requires some flexibility. And Zumba, which requires wide movements, will increase your strength, since it forces the muscles to resist against the body’s own weight.
- Decreases the production of lactic acid. Lactic acid buildup can cause a burning sensation and fatigue in your muscles when you are physically active. Practicing Zumba regularly will help you control the levels of this enemy compound.
- increases coordination. Have you always been bad at dancing? Don’t worry: Zumba will improve your agility and coordination of movements, and above all, your balance.
- Corrects bad postures. If you are unable to sit up straight or walk with your head down, Zumba is your workout. You will achieve a more elegant and harmonious figure, since dancing will correct your bad postures and help you to place your head and back more upright.
- enhance the image. Zumba is dance, and dance favors the drainage of liquids and toxins from your body. Fight overweight, obesity and high cholesterol levels, so your image and your body will improve, not only on the outside but also on the inside. And if you need a plus for it, complement it with these exercises.
Emotional and Mental Health Benefits
Improves self-esteem. Zumba classes will increase your self-esteem and social skills. Music reduces stress, anxiety and depression, and helps express emotions and channel them. In other words, it lifts your spirits. Each time you master a new dance step, your self-confidence will increase, and that will carry over into your daily life.
- Socialization. Studies have shown that strong emotional ties to others and socialization with friends contribute to high self-esteem and a positive attitude. In Zumba classes you will have the chance to meet other people, make new friends, overcome shyness…
- goodbye to stress. The music, the choreographies and the atmosphere help to release hormones of good humor, which fight those that cause stress. Zumba stimulates relaxation and releases tension, thus improving emotional health. It is an excellent antidepressant. Normal, with so much movement and those motivating songs, anyone leaves a class in a bad mood…
- Improves memory. Learning different choreographies will help you exercise your memory. And by extension, in the future you will be less likely to suffer from dementia or mental problems.
- fun and happiness. Zumba has a very clear objective, and that is to have fun. As with most physical activities, you will generate and release endorphins, the hormones responsible for boosting happiness and self-esteem.
You know, if what you are looking for is to dance, burn calories, lose weight, shape your body, forget about the worries and stress of daily life, meet people and, above all, have fun, Zumba is what you need.
You can always combine your Zumba classes with other exercises on the street, in the gym or even at home that will help you stay in shape.