I want to travel to Europe from Latin America. Will I need the new ETIAS permit?

By the end of 2022, foreign visitors from countries who are exempt from visa They must register with the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) to enter the Schengen zone. It will last for a maximum of 90 days and its objective is to improve border security.

Which countries are part of the Schengen zone?

The Schengen area was created in 1995 and it is about a group of countries that abolished immigration controls at their common borders, therefore, in terms of external borders, they are governed by common rules and function as a single country.

The 26 nations that comprise it and for which the new permit will be needed are the following: Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Lithuania, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Greece, Luxembourg, Malta, Denmark, Finland, Sweden , Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Hungary, the Slovak Republic, Slovenia and the Czech Republic, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

To access the microstates of Vatican City, San Marino or Monaco, the ETIAS permit must also be presented.

To visit European territories that are not part of the Schengen area, such as Ireland or Croatia, the access policy of each country should be consulted.

Should I apply for the ETIAS if I come from Latin America?

The ETIAS permit will be mandatory for citizens of Latin American countries who traditionally could access the Schengen area without a visa during short stays related to tourism and business.

In this sense, if you come from Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Panama, Peru, Uruguay or Venezuela, you will need to process this new permit.

Although the European Commission said it will come into force this year, there is no exact date yet. For now, the inhabitants of these countries will be able to continue visiting European territories without having to apply for a visa.

If you are a citizen of a nation not eligible for ETIAS, such as Bolivia or Cuba, you must follow the procedures to request a visa, depending on the country you want to visit.

How can I apply for the ETIAS and what is its cost?

Before applying for the permit, it is important that you have a valid passport, a debit or credit card to pay for the ETIAS application, an internet connection, and an email address where you will receive the document when it is approved.

You will need to fill out an online form with your biographical information and data related to your passport. In addition, you will need to answer questions about criminal records, as the information provided by the applicant will be checked against various security databases such as Europol. The time to complete the questionnaire will vary between 10 and 20 minutes.

If your application is approved, you will receive an ETIAS travel permit that will be valid for three consecutive years, a maximum duration of 90 days, and through which you can enter several countries of the Schengen area as many times as you wish.

In the event that your permission is denied, you may request an appeal.

For those over 18 years of age, the ETIAS price is expected to be 7 euros, an amount equivalent to almost 8 US dollars. For minors, the permit will be free.

Connect with the Voice of America! Subscribe to our channel Youtube and activate notifications, or, follow us on social networks: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.