The president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, does not require surgery, as confirmed on Tuesday by the medical team that treats him in a hospital in Sao Paulo, through a statement.
The president was admitted on Monday due to an intestinal obstruction that has already been resolved.
According to the medical report, the president showed a “satisfactory” clinical improvement and will start a liquid diet. However, his medical team has not informed when he would be discharged.
The decision not to operate on Bolsonaro came after he was reassessed by his doctor, Antônio Luiz Macedo, who was on vacation in the Bahamas and arrived in Sao Paulo on Tuesday morning.
The Brazilian president had already undergone four surgeries due to the abdominal stabbing that he suffered during a campaign event in 2018.
At that time, he was operated on by Dr. Antônio Luiz Macedo, the same doctor who has treated him ever since.
The Brazilian president said on Twitter Monday that he began to feel ill on Sunday after lunch. He had been on vacation in the southern state of Santa Catarina and was rushed to Sao Paulo by plane.
Bolsonaro said it was his second hospitalization to attend “the same symptoms” in a few months. In July 2021, he was transferred to Vila Nova Star due to an intestinal obstruction after suffering from chronic hiccups.
Bolsonaro has been in power since 2019 and plans to run for re-election as president in a vote scheduled for October this year.
[Contiene información de Reuters y AP]
Connect with the Voice of America! Subscribe to our channel Youtube and activate notifications, or, follow us on social networks: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.