WHO does not recommend mass vaccination against monkeypox
The World Health Organization (WHO) considers that mass vaccination is not currently necessary or recommended against monkeypox, according to the agency’s first recommendations on the use of immunizations against that disease.
The WHO estimates that the spread of monkeypox from person to person can be controlled with public health measures including early detection of casesalong with diagnosis, care, isolation and contact tracing, in accordance with UN News.
At the same time, he indicated that all decisions regarding immunization with smallpox or monkeypox vaccines should be made through a clinical decision process sharedbased on a joint evaluation of the risks and benefits, between the health care provider and the potential vaccinee, on a case-by-case basis.
For contacts exposed to cases of the disease, it is recommended Administer an appropriate second or third generation vaccinepreferably within four days of the first exposure and up to 14 days in the absence of symptoms of the disease.
Likewise, the WHO convened the Emergency Committee for June 23 to assess whether the monkeypox outbreak represents a public health emergency of international interest.
This is the highest level of alert according to international health regulations, which currently only applies to the Covid-19 pandemic and polio.
This year, 1,600 confirmed cases and 1,500 suspected cases of monkeypox have been reported, in 39 countriesseven where it usually spreads and 32 new ones, according to UN News.
In so far this year, there have been 72 deaths in the previously affected countries. So far no deaths have been reported in the countries where it has recently appeared, although the UN agency is trying to verify a death related to the disease in Brazil.
“The global outbreak of monkeypox is clearly unusual and concerning”, said Tedros Adhanom, who considers that it is time to intensify the response because there are more countries affected and international coordination is necessary.
The deputy director for emergency response, Ibrahima Socé Fall, explained that the risk of spread in Europe is considered “high” and in the rest of the world “moderate” and that there are gaps in how the virus is being transmitted.
“We do not want to wait until the situation is out of control,” he said of the call for the emergency committee.