University of North Carolina Expands Financial Aid Following Supreme Court Affirmative Action Loss
Photo: Eros Hoagland/Getty Images
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill said Friday it will provide free tuition for more low- and middle-income families.
UCN Chapell Hill's announcement comes more than a week after the Supreme Court struck down affirmative action based on race in the admissions process at the state's flagship school.
UNC-Chapel Hill was one of two universities that championed racially conscious admissions before the superior court of the United States. The other was Harvard University.
The Supreme Court ruled that the proceedings at the two schools violated guarantees of equal protection under the Constitutiona historic decision that will affect both colleges and universities across the country as well as low-income and minority students.
The university institution announced that it will offer free tuition to students who are residents of the state and whose families earn less than $80,000 a year, according to the university's president, Kevin Guskiewicz, in a statement.
“We want to make sure that students know that financial constraints should not get in the way of their dreams,” the chancellor wrote. “Our responsibility to comply with the law does not mean we will abandon our core values as a university,” he added.
The new measure will come into force for students who start the course in 2024according to the statement.
In the North Carolina case, the prosecution argued that the admissions policy was discriminatory against white and Asian candidates versus African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans.
Positive discrimination or affirmative action gained special importance in the country during the movement to defend the civil rights of African-Americans and the end of racial segregation in schools in the 1950s.
The Supreme Court had protected since 1978 the right of universities to consider race as a factor in the admissions process, albeit in a limited way.
The Supreme Court ruling did not place any restrictions on racially neutral financial aid.
– Biden criticizes the ruling on affirmative action in universities: “This is not a normal court”
– Kamala Harris says fundamental freedoms are at stake following recent Supreme Court rulings
– The marked turn to the right that the US Supreme Court took this week (and what is coming now)
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.
- Celebrities09/12/2023Former Child Star Jonathan Lipnicki Looks Unrecognizable Now
- Celebrities09/12/2023Miguel Hidalgo Mayor's Office establishes a new standard in risk prevention for its citizens
- Celebrities09/12/2023They say goodbye with a tribute to a police officer who fell during a search at the Doctores
- Latin America09/12/2023Federico Gatti, the defender who was a bricklayer and gives victory to Juventus