For a #HorizontalSociety
The eyes fill with tears. The images of “the most beautiful Bay in the world” devastated by the merciless blow of wind and rain. The buildings destroyed, their skeletons exposed. Tens of thousands of houses without roofs, flooded by mud. The floating hulls of what were once yachts and ships. This time, the force of nature hit us with one of the biggest booms in recent memory. Our beloved Acapulco, always bright and warm, with a thousand memories and smiles, completely went out.
Although, compared to the hurricane Pauline, the death figures would seem lower, there is still a lack of information about what really happened on the coastal strip of Guerrero. To the physical chaos of the city, without light, communications, fuel or water, social chaos ensued. The inhabitants decided to go to stores and supermarkets to loot everything. The images of hordes of people who broke into businesses to take by force everything they found in their path gave a clear account of the absence of any type of authority.
Meanwhile, a President of the Republic stranded in the mud, literally stuck. In fact, to this day there is reasonable doubt that he ever set foot at the scene of the tragedy. On the other hand, an absent governor, like her cabinet. Without data and poor communication, the feeling that for days on end there was no one in charge was consolidated in people's feelings.
Otis not only stripped Acapulco's buildings and infrastructure. He also laid bare what has been known for years. In Guerrero there is no government. In a few hours the hurricane showed that, for many years, that land has been left to its own devices. Without important investments from the federal government, with a lack of state support to reverse the depreciation of its foundations, today Acapulco stands out for its chronic poverty. The inability shown by the authorities also clearly reminded that it is crime that has the best penetration in that territory.
With great concern, audio recordings were heard of citizens being stripped of food and support by the National Guard. Given the impediment to civil organizations from bringing food and medicine to those affected, the feeling cannot be avoided that the government and its party intend to take advantage of the situation electorally. Worse still, the doubt remains that the forces of “public order” could carry out these types of actions, above civil power, in the near future. Therefore, the government is obliged to clarify these statements as soon as possible.
Beyond political criticism, the tragedy that the port is experiencing should help us understand, think and formulate response mechanisms that allow Acapulco to move forward. Faced with an overwhelmed government, it is essential to find solutions that consider perspectives for the short and medium term:
1. First of all, in the immediate future, it is essential to align and coordinate all the possible help in terms of addressing the most pressing needs. In the event that the authority prevents said help from arriving, citizens must document and massively disseminate each case. Social pressure must overcome any absurd, retrograde and authoritarian decision. A government temporary employment plan is required, which mobilizes people to clean up the devastated area.
2. In the medium term it will be essential to identify providers who are willing to support those who have lost their homes, especially in popular areas. The use of social networks, as occurred in the 2017 earthquake, can help directly link the requesting demand with the solidarity offer. Avoiding the electoral use of government programs in the face of this misfortune will only be possible if society is massively transparent about what happens in Acapulco territory. The government should join this dynamic—without competing—with a reconstruction program.
3. Put together a financial plan by the private initiative that identifies, in the face of this terrible blow, credit-real estate support mechanisms that guarantee that those who have been affected have instruments to invest in the recovery of the hotel zone and department that has been so seriously affected.
In summary, in the face of limited government capacity, the #HorizontalSociety must pressure, demand and act to achieve the rebirth of #AcapulcoDe todos.
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.
- Celebrities02/12/2023Barbie's Simu Liu Shares He's Facing Health Scares
- Celebrities02/12/2023Mexico weather forecast today December 2, 2023
- Celebrities02/12/2023Nick Cannon Twins With His & Brittany Bell's 3 Kids in Christmas Pics
- Celebrities02/12/2023AIDS remains a threat to global health: Green Party