(CNN Spanish) — The Qatar 2022 World Cup is here. This Sunday, the first day of activities took place, featuring the opening ceremony and the victory of Ecuador against the host team.
From now until December 18, 32 senior men’s teams will seek to lift the most precious trophy in soccer.
In the case of Mexico, the team is in group C of Qatar 2022, along with Poland, Argentina and Saudi Arabia, teams against which it will play on November 22, November 26 and November 30, respectively.
What players are shaping up to play these group stage matches? There are some who practically have a guaranteed place against Poland, since they have been part of the coach Gerardo “Tata” Martino’s process and are, to put it in some way, the “stars” of the team.
Mexican stars that will be in Qatar 2022
- He is the goalkeeper and captain of the team.
- He is going for his fifth World Cup in Qatar 2022. Before, he attended Germany 2006, South Africa 2010, Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018, according to data from the specialized Transfermarkt site.
- In Germany 2006 and South Africa 2010, Ochoa was a substitute and did not play.
- His senior team debut was in December 2005, making him one of the most experienced players.
- He has accumulated 132 games since then, averaging just over one goal against per game.
- He has won the Gold Cup 4 times with the national team.
- It has become one of the infaltables of “Tata” Martino. He has earned his place due to his excellent performance at Ajax, a club that currently plays in the Champions League and where he is a starter.
- He has only played one World Cup and it was in Russia 2018, where he played minutes in the four games that the Mexican team played.
- He made his senior team debut in February 2017 at the age of 19.
- With Mexico, he has accumulated 59 games since then, with three goals and one assist.
- They have won the Gold Cup once.
- He is one of the benchmarks of the Mexican attack since the 2018 World Cup in Russia, the first to play with the senior team and now in Qatar he is going for his second.
- The player, who is an important piece of Napoli (also in the Champions League and first place in the Italian Serie A), was for many the best Mexican soccer player in Russia 2018, scoring the only goal in the game against Germany and putting an assist in the victory against South Korea.
- He debuted in the senior team in February 2016.
- Since then, he has accumulated 60 games, 16 goals and 11 assists.
- He has not been able to win titles with the senior team.
- Although the starting center forward position is not assured in Mexico, Raúl Jiménez, a player for England’s Wolverhampton, has Martino’s full confidence despite the injuries he has sustained.
- Jiménez suffered a skull fracture in 2020 and little by little he has been preparing to return to his level. In the current season 2022/2023, he already scored a goal but it has also suffered other injuriesso he will have to concentrate as much as possible to get into the game against Poland (or, well, come on as a substitute).
- He has been to the World Cups in Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018, although he has played less than 90 minutes in both, so Qatar 2022 could be his big chance.
- He debuted in the senior team in January 2013 and, since then, he has recorded 97 games, 29 goals and 14 assists.
- He has won the Gold Cup once and won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics.
- Like his teammate Héctor Herrera, Guardado is one of the most experienced pieces in the Mexican midfield and in general in the entire team.
- The 35-year-old Betis player from Spain has not been a starter throughout Martino’s process, but he is one of the important replacement chips and especially balance in the dressing room.
- Along with Ochoa, he is another of the captains of Mexico. He debuted in the senior team in December 2005; since that year, he has accumulated 180 games, 28 goals and 31 assists.
- He will also play his fifth World Cup in Qatar. In the previous four, he had minutes, especially in Brazil 2014 and Russia 2018 (where he was team captain).
- He has won three editions of the Gold Cup with the senior team.
This list should also include Jesús “Tecatito” Corona, who is a must in “Tata” Martino’s squad; However, the player suffered a serious injury in August in training with Sevilla of Spain – a club he has been a part of since January this year -, which left him out of Qatar 2022.
These are the rest of the players that make up the Mexico squad for this World Cup in Qatar 2022.
- Rodolfo Cota
- Alfredo Talavera
- Jorge Sanchez
- Johan Vasquez
- gerardo arteaga
- Cesar Montes
- Nestor Araujo
- Hector Moreno
- Jesus Gallardo
- Kevin Alvarez
- Eric Gutierrez
- Hector Herrera
- Orbelin Pineda
- carlos rodriguez
- Robert Alvarado
- Luis Chavez
- louis romo
- Uriel Antuna
- Alexis Vega
- Henry Martin
- Rogelio Funes Mori
Possible alignment in the World Cup in Qatar
Taking into account that “Tata” Martino always plays with a 4-3-3 formation and that he has repeated players on several occasions, the possible line-up for the debut in Qatar against Poland would be:
- Goalie: Guillermo Ochoa
- Two side defenders: 1) Jorge Sánchez/Kevin Álvarez and 2) Jesús Gallardo/Gerardo Arteaga
- Two central defenders: 1) Hector Moreno and 2) Cesar Montes
- three in midfield: 1) Edson Álvarez, 2) Héctor Herrera/Andrés Guardado and 3) Luis Chávez/Carlos Rodríguez
- three up front: 1) Rogelio Funes Mori/Raúl Jiménez, 2) Hirving Lozano and 3) Alexis Vega