Maryland Attorney General Anthony G. Brown on Monday joined a coalition of 23 attorneys general from 23 states to file an amicus curiae brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in the Career case. Colleges and Schools of Texas v. Alabama.
The brief was filed in support of the Department of Education in a lawsuit filed in February 2023 by Career Colleges and Schools of Texas (CCST), an organization representing for-profit colleges and vocational schools, seeking to challenge the Defense Rule. of the Department Borrower.
“This rule is one of the best protections we have for students who were misled or defrauded by for-profit schools, from being unfairly burdened with federal student loan debt,” said Attorney General Brown. "Weakening those protections would make it more difficult for these students to obtain debt relief.
- In April 2023, CCST filed a motion for a preliminary injunction against student borrower protections.
- The motion was initially denied by the federal trial court, but later granted by the Fifth Circuit in July 2023.
- That allowed CCST to temporarily evade compliance with the Department's borrower defense protections.
- The CCST's appeal against the trial court's denial of a preliminary injunction will be heard in November 2023.
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.