Nick Kyrgios is charged for alleged assault in 2021 | Tweet

0
34

australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios will appear before a Canberra court next month after being accused of assault in an incident that occurred last year, local police said Tuesday.

A statement from the Australian Capital Territory Police (ATC, for its acronym in English) did not identify Kyrgios, but The Canberra Times quoted the tennis player’s lawyer as saying that the accusation is related to a “domestic relationship”

ATC Police can confirm that a 27-year-old man from Watson is scheduled to appear in Australian Territory Magistrates court on August 2 in relation to a common assault charge following an incident in December 2021.

Australian media said the allegation is related to a complaint filed by Kyrgios’ ex-partner, Chiara Passari.

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” Kyrgios’ attorney said, Jason Moffett, quoted by The Canberra Times.

The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr. Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously. Since the matter is before the court (…) he has no comment at this time, but we will eventually issue a statement to the media.

Kyrgios last month became the first athlete to join evolvethe new one sports agency co-founded by Japanese tennis player Naomi Osaka, a four-time Grand Slam champion.

The 27-year-old Australian player will face the Chilean Christian Garin this Wednesday at Wimbledon quarterfinals.

Kyrgios has been fined a total of 14 thousand dollars during the British tournament, due to two infractions: spit on a fan after his first-round victory and hurling insults in a fiery third-round clash with Stefanos Tsitsipas.

(With information from Reuters)

Comments are closed.