After several weeks of negotiations, commercial office cleaners who are part of the 32BJ union ratified a “historic” contract with the Washington Utility Contractors Association over the weekend, averting a possible strike .
The four-year agreement covers about 9,100 workers in Washington, D.C., as well as Baltimore, Prince George's and Montgomery counties in Maryland; and those of Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun, in Virginia.
The new contract stipulates that workers currently earning hourly wages between $12.50 and $18.60 will receive their highest hourly wage increases of $3.75 in Loudoun and Prince George's counties, and $3.55 for the others. jurisdictions.
“We are very satisfied because we obtained considerable raises after negotiating for so long, a total of eight sessions,” said Wendy Díaz, a DC office cleaner and single mother of four who was part of the 32BJ negotiating committee.
They achieved other work achievements, including:
- Be able to use sick or vacation days if the building is closed for reasons beyond your or the contractor's control.
- Sanitation workers in D.C., Northern Virginia, Baltimore City, and Montgomery County will have an additional paid holiday on June 16.
- Loudoun and Prince George's counties received the following new holidays: July 4, Labor Day, and Martin Luther King (MLK) Day
- Full-time cleaners in all regions will maintain employer-paid healthcare, including prescription medications, dental, vision and life insurance.
- Part-time cleaners will continue to receive life insurance and family dental benefits.
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.