London eye- Bicentennial friendship
By Jon Benjamin*
I am especially excited to write these lines, since we are celebrating 200 years of diplomatic relations between Mexico and the United Kingdom. Our friendship, which has grown since we were the first European country to recognize the independence of Mexico, has strengthened over the years and is reflected today in aspects such as gastronomy, soccer and music, among many others.
This October 10 marked the bicentenary of the appointment of the first British consul general in Mexico, Charles O'Gorman, who since his arrival built the solid foundations of our bilateral relationship; But, after his arrival, there have been millions of my compatriots who, like me, have been captivated by Mexico.
One of the first traveling painters to arrive in Mexico after independence was Daniel Thomas Egerton, who fell so much in love with the landscapes of Puebla, Guadalajara and Mexico City, that he captured them in several paintings; in fact, one of them, titled The Valley of Mexicois now in the room of the British Residence.
As a fan of Mexican food, I cannot ignore the connection of our towns. Last week I had the opportunity to visit Hidalgo again, where in the 19th century British immigrants shared with the Mexicans the recipe for our cornish pasties that, hand in hand with the Mexican seasoning, gave life to the pastes... today Cultural Heritage of the state.
- When I think of another person in love with Mexican cuisine, it immediately comes to mind Diana Kennedywho spent more than six decades traveling to corners of Mexico in search of recipes and ingredients, which earned him recognition from Mexico with the Order of the Aztec Eagle in 1981.
The bilateral relationship has also benefited our palate through collaborations such as the one achieved between the Scotch Whiskey Association and the National Chamber of the Tequila Industry, to bring together the producers of these liquors for the creation and marketing of Scotch whiskey aged in tequila barrels. and tequila aged in whiskey barrels, thus giving liquors of the highest quality and flavor.
- It is known by many that I am a great soccer fan, which is why I am very excited to know that, among the first British adventurers to arrive in Mexico, there was a group of miners who formed the first soccer team in the country, Pachuca. Today, the presence of Mexican players is also recognized in the United Kingdom. With the signing of Edson Alvarez my soccer team, West Ham, has 11 who have joined the Premier League.
Our cultural ties have also been reflected in cinema. For example, last year the second headquarters outside the United Kingdom of The Raindance Film School was inaugurated in Guadalajara, Mexico to support great Mexican film talent.
Music has also been a solid bridge between the United Kingdom and Mexico, forming a relationship of mutual inspiration, as happened with Chris Martinvocalist of Coldplay, after learning about the work of Frida Kahlo. He has shared that the vibrant colors of the Casa Azul of Coyoacán and the painting Still Life: Long Live Lifewere great influences for the album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends.
Dear readers, it is impossible for me, in so few lines, to give an account that does justice to 200 years of friendship, therefore, in my next column I will talk to you about other highlights of our collaboration in political, economic and social.
I look forward to your comments on my Twitter account @JonBenjamin19, and at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let's keep talking!
*Ambassador of the United Kingdom in Mexico
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.
- Celebrities30/11/2023Failure to comply with food obligations is economic violence: Green Party
- Celebrities30/11/2023Shannen Doherty Details "Horrible Reaction" After Brain Tumor Surgery
- North America30/11/2023Families of American hostages in Gaza tell of their "terrible" ordeal
- Latin America30/11/2023Congress of Nuevo León Latest News LIVE