(CNN Spanish) — At 60 years old, Gerardo “Tata” Martino seeks to be the man who catapults the Mexican men’s team to where it has never reached: the semifinals of a World Cup.
This is Tri’s 17th participation in a World Cup, a team that has not missed a World Cup since 1994.
Martino is the third Argentine coach in the history of the Mexican team. The first was César Luis Menotti (he directed 16 games between 1991 and 1992) and an old acquaintance of the fans, Ricardo La Volpe (71 games in charge of the team between 2002 and 2006).
Before Mexico, “Tata” has led two teams: Paraguay (66 games between 2007 and 2011) and Argentina (29 games between 2014 and 2016). His best participation in a World Cup so far was with Paraguay in South Africa 2010, where the South Americans were eliminated in the quarterfinals against Spain, which ended up winning the tournament.
His performance with Mexico
Gerardo Martino was appointed on January 7, 2019 after the failure of the Mexican team in Russia 2018. His relationship with El Tri ends on December 31, 2022, according to Transfermarkt, which could indicate that his future in the team depends exclusively on the performance in this World Cup.
If the “Tata” continues to be linked to the Mexican team, he could become the coach during the next World Cup cycle: in 2026 Mexico will host the World Cup along with the United States and Canada.
Martino’s general figures with Mexico before his first game in Qatar 2022:
- 63 led parties
- 41 won
- 11 draws
- 11 losses
- 1 only title (Gold Cup 2019)
– His debut took place on March 23, 2019 in a friendly match against Chile. Mexico won 3-1.
– His first tournament was the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, where he was champion after beating the United States 1-0 in the final on July 8, 2019.
– That same year, a few months later, on September 11, 2019, Martino lost his first game with El Tri: Argentina, a historical soccer nightmare for Mexico, thrashed 4-0. He thus ended an 11-date honeymoon without losing since he took over.
– They were runner-up in the Concacaf Nations League after losing 2-3 in the final against the United States on June 7, 2021.
– They lost a title again on August 2, 2021, this time the Concacaf Gold Cup, again against the United States, 1-0.
most recent x-ray
Despite earning a direct berth in the most recent World Cup tie and finishing second behind Canada, Martino’s side failed to convince with their style of play before Qatar.
Before its debut against Poland on November 22 in Doha, the last five games of the Mexican team had a balance in the red with three defeats and two wins against teams that did not qualify for the World Cup, as follows:
Mexico 0 – Paraguay 1 (September 1)
Mexico 1 – Peru 0 (September 25)
Mexico 2 – Colombia 3 (September 28)
Mexico 4 – Iraq 0 (November 9)
Mexico 1 – Sweden 2 (November 16)
In Qatar 2022, the Mexican team is in Group C along with Argentina, Poland and Saudi Arabia. If they win their group, they will face the second in Group D, made up of France, Australia, Denmark and Tunisia, in the round of 16, but if they qualify second in the group, they will face the first in Group D.
It is clear that Mexico, led by Martino and its traditional 4-3-3 scheme, does not arrive in the best shape in Qatar. But the World Cup is played at another price.
Mexico vs. Poland
11:00 a.m. ET
10:00 a.m. Mexico
Mexico vs. Argentina
2:00 p.m. ET
1:00 p.m. Mexico
Mexico vs. Saudi Arabia
2:00 p.m. ET
1:00 p.m. Mexico