Frauds increase in online payments
Cybercriminals and fraudsters have sophisticated their methods to compromise the security of online transactions, which is making e-commerce lose attractiveness and having a significant economic impact on consumers.
According to Retail Report 2023, carried out by Adyen, about 26% of Mexican consumers surveyed have experienced payment fraud in the last year. This figure is slightly higher than the world average, which stood at 23% in the same period.
The tactics preferred by fraudsters include creating replica websites, also known as phishing, and affiliate fraud by manipulating traffic or subscriptions.
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED: SpyLoan, the malware behind the debt-mounting apps
For Fabricio Moreno, general manager of Adyen in Mexico, This situation not only affects consumer confidence in online shopping, but also has a significant economic impact.
The latter because the average amount lost by Mexicans due to these frauds is located at approximately 3 thousand 374 pesos.
The fear of being a victim of a fraudster has led 68% of consumers to believe that online shopping is losing its appeal,” Moreno highlighted.
This is because buyers are aware of the risks and take measures to protect themselves. For example, the study found that 41% of Mexicans surveyed check the website URL to ensure its legitimacy, while 48% choose not to allow the device to remember their credit card details or debit.
In addition, 65% of consumers surveyed believe that retailers should do more to protect their customers against electronic payment fraud.
ABOUT THE 2023 RETAIL REPORT:
- Surveyed 12 thousand companies and 36 thousand consumers
- It was carried out in 26 countries
- He found that if more retailers adopt unified commerce, they can have a market of up to 1.5 trillion dollars in growth.
- 1 in 5 buyers made online purchases from foreign brands in 2022
- 73% of buyers want a better shopping experience
RESULTS ON MEXICO
- 36% of Mexican companies affirm that payment fraud attempts have increased in the last year
- 33% of Mexican companies claim that scammers have created replica websites imitating their brand
- 28% of Mexican companies affirm that their business has been the victim of a cyberattack or data leak throughout the year
- 68% of shoppers say fraudsters make online shopping unattractive
- 82% of shoppers expect retailers to better communicate their online fraud protection methods
ALSO THE TRADERS?
He Retail Report 2023 also analyzed the situation of retail stores in Mexico, which also face payment fraud attempts and other types of attacks from hackers.
Proof of this is that 39% of retailers have seen an increase in payment fraud attempts over the past year and, in that same period, 34% have suffered cyberattacks or data leaks.
Moreno highlighted that 46% of merchants recognize that fraudulent transactions and chargebacks represent a significant cost to their businesses and 25% consider the increase in fraudulent attacks to be one of the main barriers to their growth.
Despite the above, a large number of them have not sufficiently strengthened their cybersecurity strategies and they are opting for other strategies. For example, 51% use AI in fraud prevention, which represents an increase of 13% compared to 2022.
It is added that almost half of retailers will choose to increase their human resources teams by 100%.
CHECK THE BREAKING NEWS HERE
- Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.
My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.
What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.
I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.
Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.
At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.
- 🔥 War02/12/2023The wrath of Achilles and why we should not fight, by Xavier Mas de Xaxàs
- Celebrities02/12/2023Blake Lively's Trainer Wants You to Enjoy the Holidays Without Guilt
- Celebrities02/12/2023Aztlán School of Terror!; They rape 2 boys and beat Zamir to death
- Latin America02/12/2023Who was Laura Montalvo, the Mexican soap opera actress who died