Confinement lifted due to the Maine massacre although there is still no trace of the murderer | International

Rate this post

Michael Sauschuck, of the Maine Department of Public Safety, this Friday at Lewinston City Hall.KEVIN LAMARQUE (REUTERS)

This Friday afternoon, the authorities completed the task of identifying the 18 fatal victims of the Maine massacre. Almost all of them are residents of Lewiston, the scene of the mass shooting, and are between 14 and 76 years old. It took almost two days for that moment to arrive, almost 48 hours after reserve soldier Robert Card, 40, broke into the Just-In-Time Recreation bowling alley on Wednesday, shortly before 7:00 p.m. and opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle and then drove through this quiet town to the Schemengees restaurant, before fleeing.

The suspect's whereabouts remain unknown and the towns in the area have been confined since then as a precaution. Mike Sauschuck of the Maine Department of Public Safety ended that lockdown during a news conference at Lewiston City Hall. Life, he said, can return to the municipalities of Lewiston, Lisbon, where the suspect was last seen and where the search was concentrated on the Androscoggin River, Bowdoyn, where the suspect last resided, and Monmouth, where some live. relatives.

The only thing that is prohibited from this Saturday is hunting, and it makes sense: if the hundreds of local, county, state and federal agents deployed are still looking for a dangerous and heavily armed man, it is better to avoid the shots that could lead to neighbors to call the police.

Until this Friday, only eight of the 18 deceased had been identified: seven (six men and one woman) died in the bowling alley, and eight men, in the restaurant. Three succumbed to their injuries in the hospital that night. The authorities had refused to give or confirm any names, out of respect for the families, although the stories of those first eight were emerging in the media in recent days.

Until this Friday, there was also no information about their ages. Since the mass shooting occurred, that was one of the insistent questions from reporters, who sought to clear up a terrible mystery raised by the first information, which spoke of a children's tournament being held at the bowling alley on Wednesday.

Among the victims is a sign language interpreter, Joshua Seal, who was known in Maine because he worked with some of the most prominent local politicians and became a familiar presence in the homes of the northeastern state during the pandemic. Joe Walker, manager of the Schmengees, who confronted the attacker with a knife, or Bill Young and Aaron, one of his three sons. They were both bowling when Card walked in with his gun, equipped with a scope. Michael Deslauriers II also died there. His father told a local station that before he died he took his wives and several children to safety with a friend. The man also said that both “heroes” were killed.

Join EL PAÍS to follow all the news and read without limits.

Subscribe

Seal was at the restaurant with three other deaf people, Bryan MacFarlane, Billy Brackett and Steve Vozella. They were participating in a cornhole tournament, a local board game with a family resemblance to bocce. Arthur Strout, father of five, was also at Schmengees, playing pool, another of the attractions that made the place a leisure institution in Lewiston.

[Noticia de última hora. Habrá actualización en breve]

Subscribe here to newsletter from EL PAÍS América and receive all the key information on current events in the region

Author Profile

Nathan Rivera
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Nathan Rivera, a dedicated journalist who has had the privilege of writing for the online newspaper Today90. My journey in the world of journalism has been a testament to the power of dedication, integrity, and passion.

My story began with a relentless thirst for knowledge and an innate curiosity about the events shaping our world. I graduated with honors in Investigative Journalism from a renowned university, laying the foundation for what would become a fulfilling career in the field.

What sets me apart is my unwavering commitment to uncovering the truth. I refuse to settle for superficial answers or preconceived narratives. Instead, I constantly challenge the status quo, delving deep into complex issues to reveal the reality beneath the surface. My dedication to investigative journalism has uncovered numerous scandals and shed light on issues others might prefer to ignore.

I am also a staunch advocate for press freedom. I have tirelessly fought to protect the rights of journalists and have faced significant challenges in my quest to inform the public truthfully and without constraints. My courage in defending these principles serves as an example to all who believe in the power of journalism to change the world.

Throughout my career, I have been honored with numerous awards and recognitions for my outstanding work in journalism. My investigations have changed policies, exposed corruption, and given a voice to those who had none. My commitment to truth and justice makes me a beacon of hope in a world where misinformation often prevails.

At Today90, I continue to be a driving force behind journalistic excellence. My tireless dedication to fair and accurate reporting is an invaluable asset to the editorial team. My biography is a living testament to the importance of journalism in our society and a reminder that a dedicated journalist can make a difference in the world.